Friday, July 29, 2011

There's No Place Like Home, or the People in it... Hopefully.

This has been a good week. I love the time of building relationships with the kids on this trip. Each one of them is so incredibly special and so individual. I love getting to watch them "get it" at just the right moment.

I watch and listen as several of the children in our group share highlights of the experiences without hesitation during church group devotions each night. The answers range from recreation to track times to worship. They seem to like their bible study leaders and staff who run other events in which they participate. It is fun seeing the first time campers get into the whole of it all without realizing it. All their fears and insecurities seem to be swept away in the excitement and newness of their experience.

Don't get me wrong, it has had its moments. I think some type of light has been left on in some form in everyone's room, closet, or a-joining bathroom. We have left my door unlocked or cracked each night to provide reassurance and immediate availability if someone gets scared [of course, Bro. Steve's snoring might scare them even more]. I noticed the relief on a couple of faces about the unlocked door even if they expressed no verbal relief in front of their friends [boys are funny like that].

Then there was the rainstorm that blew through [a couple of them, in fact]. I feel certain one of our boys was thinking of questions to ask just to have reasons to come sit on the bed and make conversation during the thunder. I also had two or three specifically ask me to check the radar on the weather app on my iPad [Of course, each one said they were checking for someone else].

I had one fella begin to cry during a morning quiet time and said he was homesick. We talked about it a little and at one point one of his buddies admitted he was a little homesick, too. I told them it was ok to be a little homesick and we were still going to have a great week anyway [truth is, I was a little homesick myself].

As the week continued, my own son became especially affectionate. He would clasp my arms and drape them over his shoulders and down his chest while standing in line in the cafeteria. He would turn around and hug me a few more times than usual, and would take my hand when we walk from time to time. He wasn't homesick. He was tired, yes, but not exactly homesick. What is interesting is I noticed he was not the only one to demonstrate similar behavior. One of our little girls has taken hold of my arm as we have walked out of worship and clasped my had as our group walked.

One of our boys was standing next to me and reached up to place his hand on the top of my shoulder. I thought he was trying to get my attention, so I looked at him to which he replied "Oh, sorry Brother Todd... I wasn't thinking right. For a minute I was thinking you were my dad standing there."

That's just it, though. They know they need the people that mean the most to them in their lives. What I find interesting is that in the absence of the authentic, at something as simple as a 5 day camp, they seek a substitute - even if unintentionally. I feel like I am a pretty good substitute with their best interest in mind; however, except for one, I am not the authentic person for them.

I can tell them they will be ok during the rainstorm and not to worry, but I'm not their mom.

I can reassure them that nothing will come out of the closet or from under the bed, but, I'm not their dad.

I can hug a neck, hold a hand and be a human play-gym if necessary, and certainly provide my shoulder to lean on, but I'm still just Brother Todd.

Two things are glaringly obvious. First, they need that kind of stability in their lives. All kids do. Really, all people do. That security, that trust, that love is complete reassurance and confidence building. It is also priceless. It is the kind of assurance we ultimately find untainted in our heavenly father.

The second is the issue of the substitute. If our natural inclination is to seek a substitute in the absence of the authentic, what does that mean for us spiritually? When we allow ourselves to move away from God in our spiritual walk, what will then be our substitute? With what will we try to replace God to comfort ourselves? In what will we place our safety and protection during the storms of life? If not God, who's arm will we grab to lead us through the crowd of mayhem and distraction?

Furthermore, what will we teach our children about these things? What are they learning through our examples and leadership? Moms and Dads are the substantial influencers of the home... and dads? We are to be the pastors of our home leading our families and children to the place of total security in God our father. We are their shepherd under God.

It is in our human nature to take measures to fill voids within ourselves, and two or more things will not fill the same void. Moms. Dads. If we don't do the the job to see that the void is filled with the right things, someone or some-thing else will. And there are plenty of people, philosophies, and things waiting to steal the hearts of our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment