Wednesday, July 27, 2011

51 Steps to Dealing with Other People's Baggage (part two)

It occurred to me yesterday [particularly through the gentle text reminder of a friend who is a faithful Chronic Deconstruction reader] that yesterday's post might have been a little, dare I say... whiny?

Carrying luggage up so many flights of stairs is really not that bad. The reality is that with a family my size, carrying everybody's stuff is a regular, daily ordeal; I'm the perfect man for the job. And the exercise? Well, let's face it, we could all use a little more of that, so essentially I am killing two birds with one stone. Besides, it is for the kids, and kids are extra special to me. In further reality, I am incredibly thankful to even be able to climb stairs, much less haul luggage in the process. But, the real issue is the issue of the heart, and my complaining reminded me of a story I have often told students in years past when they have complained over their service to others or mere inconveniences.

It is the story of a man who was born to a poor family in rough times. He was a good kid. He was obedient to his parents, grew up seeking and doing the will of God but was later picked on, teased, beat up, ridiculed, mocked and called hateful names. Most of the people around him had no concern for his heart or motives and yet he didn't let it sway him in his goals; he kept doing his thing. He never followed the crowd, and always had time for children. Still he was unaccepted and eventually he was killed... on a cross... to pay for the sin I have committed.

When I would tell the story verbally, I would often tell it dramatically in order to make the point that there is nothing of difficulty or misery that compares to the sacrifice of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I have no idea how many steps Jesus took to move from his sentencing to the place where he was crucified. I have no clue how heavy the weight of the cross was he carried for his own execution. I cannot comprehend the weight of our transgressions and the wrath of God that pressed upon him as he took each of those steps. What I know is this, he did so. He did so faithfully. He did so willingly. He did so obediently. He did so painfully. He did so lovingly. Everything he did was a selfless act in order to draw us to himself and provide access to the father.

I was reminded of this as I was reading Philippians 2. It is all about being like Christ in everything we do. It is about not doing anything from selfish conceit, but humility of mind. It says not to look out for our own self interest, but also the interest of others. It reminds us that Jesus emptied himself and took on the form of a bond servant, and for us to do everything without grumbling... oops.

Well, no more of that from this guy. In fact, I reminded our guys about what it means to be different and challenged them to extend themselves in service to others through a challenge. About half of them took the challenge and have been striving to serve others above themselves.

Yesterday was a good day, and I am excited to see what God has in store for our group today.

No comments:

Post a Comment